Moving a car across country- or even to another town is not easy. Some people drive the car themselves while other hire a company like a professional auto transport company
to bring a car to your new town.
Choosing the right car movers
- much like picking the right moving company
- can be difficult. The best way to find a professional car mover is to conduct research online or ask friends or family members for references. You should look into their company history, what services a shipper offers and their rates. From there, you should meet prospective auto shippers in person where you can ask them several questions in order to determine if they are the right auto transportation company
to move your car. Here are some of our suggested questions to ask before you work with a car mover.
- Can you show me your licenses? Before you work with a car moving company ask them about their licenses and professional paperwork. This may also include local DOT licenses for local car movers, a US DOT for interstate moves and an MC (or Motor Carrier License).
- What is your business like? You should also learn about the dynamic of your car movers - asking them questions about how long they have been in business to how many employees they have. You should also ask about who (in general) will be moving your car as well as how long they have worked as a car mover.
- What will this cost me? When you meet with your potential car shipping vendor you should ask them for an estimate - much like an estimate you would receive from a mover - that will include costs related to the distance your car will be shipped as well as the make/model of your car. Auto transport companies may also ask you if you are ok with delayed shipment, which may decrease a portion of your bill.
- Is there insurance? Anything and everything can happen on the road. You want to ensure that your car is as safe as possible when it is out of your hands. Ask all prospective car shippers about their auto insurance that will cover issues like robbery, accidents or damages on the road.
- What kind of delivery options do you offer? Some auto shippers will have you pick up your car at a lot; while others can drive your car directly to your door. Be sure that you know this before you sign up with a auto transportation company. Also, if they do ship to your house ask them if this is for an extra charge or not.